Sunday, June 1, 2008

My first chemo party

You walk into a room with about 10 other people getting chemo. They take your temperature, blood pressure, and start an IV. It only took them 3 times to get an IV in me. I guess my veins didn’t want the chemo and now my arm looks like Justin beat me up. =) They then started me on a saline drip and added Benadryl a few minutes later. Once the Benadryl bag was empty I had to wait 30 minutes for it to take effect.
The Taxotere was next; they slowly add it in for 15 minutes to make sure that you don’t have an allergic reaction to it. Unfortunately when they took my temperature it was high (99.2) so I had to continue the slow drip for another 15 minutes. Once my temperature was back to normal they gave me the rest of the drug that took an hour. Next was the cyclophosphamide this took another hour.
What a long visit. I got there at 3pm and left at 6:45pm. I was so done!

1 comment:

Tracy said...

You are such an inspiration in the attitude you are doing such a hard thing with! You kick ass! Glad you get the Benadryl! Praying for the chemo to target any rouge cancer and just kill it, leaving the rest of ya happy and healthy! I'll be down there in June for the A's game (Cam and I aren't going) and hope to see ya. Of course, if you aren't feeling up to visits, we will book a visit the next trip! No worries and no hurt feelings if you just want to sleep! Love ya!